Mind Mapping as a Tool

Hello Group 9;

I have to admit that I have not used mind mapping much as a student or as a teacher, even though I have been introduced to it a number of times by different people.  ETEC 512 was one of the first times I really had to hash out a comprehensive mind map and I was quite satisfied with the result and the process. I am more of a list maker and like to see things in a more linear fashion. I do see how mind mapping is effective, for some, however.

I have students create a hybrid mind map in Prezi as an assignment. The program allows the user to create a map that may go in many different directions but then the timeline tool makes the presentation linear. I think a true mind map would remove the timeline/path tool so the viewer could choose the direction they want the map to go. I appreciate that there is software out there that helps us create mind maps as organizational tools.

As for the future, I see mind maps being used extensively in education, especially as digital storage does not limit the allowable space to create, like paper and pencil crayons might. I can see any and every subject using them as more curricula are mapped around a few key branches with detailed branched stemming out from them. The cloud enables  us to take our maps anywhere and they can be edited by one or many. I see groups using mind maps to separate individual work assignments and then connecting the group together near the end, especially online groupings. They have the ability to keep everyone on the same page, yet allowing for differentiation in the details.

As a construction teacher I can see using mind maps to help complete a project from beginning to end. The middle would have the finished project as the main goal or objective. Some of the key branches would be planning, cutting, assembly sanding, finishing, marketing, evaluation and a reflection. Each of these branches is an important process to the project as a whole and cannot be overlooked. I think students would benefit from seeing the big picture from the beginning instead of a step-by-step learning process.

Dennis

Posted in: Week 09: Visual-Intensive Learning